Organizations that are seeking to achieve ISO 50001 certification benefit from comprehensive measurement of the energy consumption of the production equipment and facilities. Through its robust platform for energy and equipment remote monitoring Ei3 corporation provides a Software-as-a-Service platform that captures, analyzes and reports on the energy consumption of equipment and facilities to empower the organization and to aid in the measurement and verification part of the ISO 50001 process.
The ISO 50001 energy management standard is an international framework for industrial plants, commercial facilities or entire organizations to manage energy, including all aspects of procurement and use. The standard provides organizations and companies with technical and management strategies to increase energy efficiency, reduce costs, and improve environmental performance.
ISO 50001 was published as an International Standard in June 2011 and is now available from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for purchase.
ISO project committee ISO/PC 242 developed the standard with input from fifty-nine countries, 14 of which were observers. ANSI served as co-Secretariat of PC 242, serving jointly with Brazil. Representatives from the U.S. Council for Energy-Efficient Manufacturing (U.S. CEEM) and U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) actively contributed to the U.S. Technical Advisory Group, the U.S. delegation to PC 242. The U.S. TAG led international negotiations to ensure that ISO 50001 preserves the U.S. emphasis on management support and data-driven energy performance.
Conformance to the energy management standard will demonstrate that the plant or company implemented sustainable energy management systems, completed a baseline of energy use, and committed to continuously improve their energy performance. The standard, which is compatible with the widely used ISO 9001 (quality management) and ISO 14001 (environmental management), also accomplishes the following:
- Assists organizations in optimizing their existing energy-consuming assets.
- Offers guidance on benchmarking, measuring, documenting, and reporting energy intensity improvements and their projected impact on reducing GHG emissions.
- Creates transparency and facilitates communication on the management of energy resources.
- Promotes energy management best practices and reinforces good energy management behaviors.
- Assists facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies
- Provides a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain.
- Facilitates energy management improvements in the context of GHG emission reduction projects.